The Parishes of Luttons and Weaverthorpe, incorporating Helperthorpe

Helperthorpe

Click here to see the map of Helperthorpe

Helperthorpe

Helperthorpe is a peaceful village of about 40 houses and 6 farms. On either side are rolling hills planted with crops or as pasture for sheep.

The Church of St Peter stands above the village. The original wooden church was pulled down in 1872 and replaced in 1875. The church and vicarage were designed by the famous architect G.E.Street and paid for by Sir Tatton Sykes, Baronet and Lord of the manor. The church has an oak-panelled roof, which is richly painted in red, blue and gold. This was restored in1998.

A settlement has been on this site before records began, and the village is on the course of the Gypsey Race (stream). Village life is much quieter now than it was in the 19th and early 20th centuries. The Village Pub last opened its doors around 1940. The Methodist Chapel (last used in 1968) was demolished in 1997. And in 2000 the village lost its resident vicar.

The village is notable for the long green, which runs along the south side of the main road, which traverses the village east to west. On the green are a number of large Chestnut and Beech trees planted in 1911 to commemorate the coronation of King George V.

Speak Your Mind

*